Support our recovery radio show through Patreon!
We feature stories of recovery, advocacy, and invite anyone who is passionate about making a difference in their community. People are even using this as a resource for those who are struggling and for those who want to learn how to actively get involved”
Episode Snapshot: This week, it was an honor for us to sit down with Gary Mendell, CEO of Shatterproof and Nadine Machkovech, Program Manager of Rise Together. We spoke to Gary and discussed his part in helping to create an amazing cause called Shatterproof; a national nonprofit organization dedicated to ending the devastation that addiction causes families. In this episode, you will also get the opportunity to hear Gary’s story & how he lost his son, Brian, to addiction and the promise Gary has made to help spare others from the same tragedy.
Key Topics of Discussion:
- Who is Gary Mendell & why do you do what you do?
- What is Shatterproof?
- What was the opportunity to stand with President Obama at the signing of the 21st Century Cures Act like?
- Can you explain your plans for 2017 in further detail?
- How can people get involved?
“I made a promise to my son, Brian, to spare others of this tragedy”
For almost ten years, my son Brian struggled with the disease of addiction. After we lost him in 2011, I struggled to make sense of what had happened. Inspired by Brian’s compassion, a vision emerged: to unite millions of Americans within one organization, empowering them to create change.
This episode focused on main topics like: addiction, prevention, treatment, recovery, advocacy, and how to get involved.
- Addiction is a chronic disease that changes the brain.
- Overdose is now the #1 cause of accidental death in the United States, recently surpassing car accidents. Every four minutes a parent loses a child to addiction, and the rising cost of addiction now exceeds $400 billion a year.
- Alcohol and other drugs claim another life every four minutes in America.
- Only 1 in 10 Americans with a substance use disorder receive treatment. Addiction is highly stigmatized, and that stigma is fueling an America public health crisis.
- Research shows that the stigma of addiction keeps people from getting the treatment they need.
- Prevention works. Treatment is effective. Recovery is possible for everyone.
- Together we can reduce the stigma and secrecy associated with addiction, removing the shame felt by those struggling with this disease and their families. Together we can change the conversation about addiction.
- Together we can help parents prevent their children from developing an addiction to alcohol and other drugs and ensure that those afflicted with this disease gain access to proven and effective treatments and long-term recovery programs.
- Together, we will urge our lawmakers to treat addiction as the disease that it is.
“Addiction is a disease. We’re committed to ending its stigma and helping those with this disease fully recover. We are a community of families who have been affected by addiction. We are focused on evidence-based solutions. We are advocating for policy change both on the state and federal level.” –We Are Shatterproof
- Shatterproof @ shatterproof.org
Gary encourages people to get involved now. In order to make long lasting change, people need to start dedicating their time and resources to the cause’s they most care about.
Feel free to contact Gary by clicking (HERE)
Song Break “Rise Up” by Andra Day
Episode Call to Action:
SHARE YOUR STORY with us and speak about the issues you most care about. When #WeAllRiseTogether we make a huge difference throughout the world!
Join the Rise Together Nation When You
TEXT THE WORD “RISE” TO 44144
About Anthony Alvarado
Rise & Grind Recovery Radio is brought to you by Anthony Alvarado. As a person in long-term recovery, Anthony has a strong desire to change the conversation around addiction and in turn – change the world we live in today. He is the President and Co-Founder of Rise Together, a grassroots organization helping to lead a movement of young people to stand up and speak out on the issues they care most about. Anthony and his organization aim to break the silence around suicide, bullying, mental illness, drugs, and alcohol.
Rise Together’s mission is rapidly spanning the United States. Since September 2013, Anthony has personally traveled over 200,000 miles, taken the stage over 400 times with his team, and educated over 125,000 young adults on addiction and mental health.
Anthony speaks on many different topics but often addresses the need for new creative & innovative solutions that will educate, engage, and empower the young people of today. He shares successful strategies with prevention agencies and school administrators. He has spoken at national conferences as well as state mental health and school conferences.
Now, he has founded Rise & Grind Recovery Radio, where he welcomes guest to engage in conversation around recovery from all over the world.
He is a loving father, son, brother, and friend and spends his free time connecting and conversing with others.